Thursday, April 23, 2009

Oops, Access Issue!!!

Yesterday evening, we went to this tiny Thai restaurant with friends. It was a new restaurant that opened up not too long ago.

When we enter the place, a guy came up to us and said, "Sorry, no dog allowed." Nikki and her friends tried to explain what a guide dog is, and it is against law to deny access to a service dog. But the guy wasn't taking it well. Then other customers took our side! They started saying, "Yeah, you have to let them in. You will get in trouble." etc, etc. So the restaurant guy finally gave in & seated us at the table by the door. After that, it was business as usual. I was under the table snoozing while humans enjoyed their dinner & chat.

I'm glad that everything worked out quickly and in our favor. Yay for the customers sticking up for us! It seems that we have more problems at Asian-owned establishments. I know there's a lot to do with culture. It's improved tremendously, but there are still more access issues for guide dogs and their handlers in Japan.

4 comments:

Megan and Orleans said...

I went into a fast food place once and the owner tried to kick us out and wouldn't listen when I tried to explain that my dog was a guide dog in training. Then a customer got up and started yelling at the owner for me. I was really surprised by the lady but the owner gave in and let us eat. I love when other people stick up for us. I was so gratefull for that lady. :D Glad you got to go in the Thai place. I love Thai food. Yummy!

Becky Andrews said...

Oh sorry to hear ... that is so frustrating, isn't it! Glad you were able to gain access and enjoy your dinner.

OSU 98 said...

Check out my blog in the upcoming days...I will be posting a letter I intend to send to Delta about Becky's experience in trying to get home from Portland on Saturday night...

Gerda said...

Glad you handled it so well. I've had the same experience in asian restaurants around san diego but usually they give in. I think it is cultural but little by little it will change and hopefully it will be quicker than we expect.
Hope dinner was good.

Blog Archive